The Zoological Gardens were founded in 1841 and opened in 1844. This makes it the oldest zoo in Germany and, together with the aquarium, possesses the widest variety of species in the world. At present, almost 14,000 animals live in Berlin’s zoo.
The zoo has two entrances. One is located at Hardenbergplatz and passes through the so-called Löwentor or Lion Gate, the other is in Budapester Straße, where the aquarium is also located, right next to the imposing Elefantentor or Elephant Gate.
Information about opening times and guided tours can be found by visiting the Zoological Gardens and Aquarium’s website.
The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church was designed by Franz Heinrich Schwechten, built between 1891 and 1895 and consecrated on 1st September 1895. A large part of the neo-roman church was unfortunately destroyed in November 1943 during bombing raids in the Second World War and, for a long time, it was not known what should be done with the ruins. Finally, a competition was drawn up.
The winner of the competition was the architect Egon Eiermann. His design envisioned the complete demolition of the church and the building of a new, modern construction. However, these plans proved extremely unpopular with the local population, provoking much passionate, architectural debate. Eventually a compromise was reached: The church’s 68m high tower would be retained as a memorial and the new Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church constructed next to the old one.
Information concerning the opening times, as well as guided tours can be found on the memorial church’s website.
Breitscheidplatz, named after the SPD politician Rudolf Breitscheid, received its current design in 1984. It lies between Kurfürstendamm, Tauentzienstraße and Budapester Straße and covers most of the former Auguste-Viktoria-Platz, which was an important hub of the new West Germany during the 20th Century. At its centre, stands the main tower of Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, which was largely destroyed during the Second World War, and which is now accompanied by the glass towers of the new memorial church designed by architect Egon Eiermann.