Zoological Garden

The zoological garden was founded in 1841 and opened in 1844. This makes it the oldest zoo in Germany and, together with the aquarium, the most species-rich in the world. In total, almost 20,000 animals currently live in the Berlin Zoo. These include elephants, giraffes, gorillas and unique in Germany: the giant pandas.

There are two entrances to the zoological garden. One entrance is on Hardenbergplatz and leads through the Löwentor, the other on Budapester Straße, right next to the imposing Elephant Gate is the aquarium.
Information on opening times and guided tours can be found on the website of the Zoological garden and the aquarium.

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church was designed by Franz Heinrich Schwechten, built between 1891-95 and finally inaugurated on September 1, 1895. Large parts of the neo-Romanesque building were unfortunately destroyed in a bombing raid in November 1943 during the Second World War and for a long time it was unclear what was to be done with the ruins. Finally, a competition was announced.

The winner of the competition was the architect Egon Eiermann. His design envisaged the demolition of the church and a modern new building. However, these plans found no support from the population and therefore sparked a passionate architectural debate. A compromise was reached: the 68 meter high main tower of the church was preserved as a memorial and the new Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church was built next to the old one.

Information on opening times and guided tours can be found on the website of Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church .


The Breitscheidplatz, named after the SPD politician Rudolf Breitscheid, was given its present form in 1984. It lies between Kurfürstendamm, Tauentzienstrasse and Budapester Strasse and essentially takes up the area of the former Auguste-Viktoria-Platz, which was one of the most important junctions of the New West in the 1920s. In the center of the square is the main tower of the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, which was largely destroyed in World War II, and is flanked by the glass towers of the new Memorial Church designed by the architect Egon Eiermann.